Yes, we had missed him; and so had he. Normally he would visit at least once a year, but after two years and seven months, and a schedule derailed and threatened by the COVID-19 pandemic, District Apostle Michael Ehrich joined brothers and sisters again in celebrating a special united divine service in Accra, on 22nd August, 2021. On this occasion, he retired an Apostle, ordained a new one, and replaced many retiring District Rectors as well as Deputy District Rectors.
The South Germany District Church leader served the congregation based on the text word John 6:68-69: “But Simon Peter answered Him, ‘Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. Also we have come to believe and know that You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.’”
The Gospel, relevant then and now. The Gospel of Jesus Christ is as important today as it was 2,000 years ago, stressed the District Apostle. In our current times, when we ask, ‘Who is Jesus Christ?’, we will get many different answers, just as it was 2,000 years ago. “Some say He was the founder of the Christian religion, others say He was a gifted man, a philosopher or a master of His time. Even some Christians do not believe Jesus is the Son of God” recounted the District Apostle based on a personal experience.
“However, the message of our divine service today is that we believe and we know that Jesus Christ is the Son of the Living God” emphasized the Leader. “This truth is just as important today as it was 2,000 years ago.”
How can we show our belief and knowledge?
* When we believe the Apostles are sent by the Lord Jesus and that they proclaim the gospel, then our knowledge grows about the plan of salvation. We have no idea how it will be when Jesus returns, but we can believe and know in our hearts that Jesus will return.
* When we believe in the forgiveness of sins. Sin separates us from God. We believe and know our sins are forgiven when we feel peace in our hearts after we have received forgiveness during divine services. Here, we can feel we are in harmony with God.
* When we believe we receive the life and nature of Jesus Christ through the Holy Communion. We believe the Holy Communion gives us life in Jesus Christ, and we can know this when we realise changes in our lives and become more and more like Christ.
* When we believe Jesus is in our midst. “Once the Lord Jesus said ‘where 2 or 3 are gathered in His Name, I am there in the midst of them.’” When we gather for divine services, Jesus is in our midst. When we feel joy and at home in the congregation, where we are closely connected to brothers and sisters in the congregation, then we can know that Jesus is in our midst.
* When we believe in our prayers. When we believe our prayers are a dialogue with God and that He hears us as our Heavenly Father, then, we will also know it when we receive answers from God.
* When we believe in the guidance of the Holy Spirit. “Many of us have received the gift of the Holy Spirit through an Apostle. We did not receive a certificate for it, but we believed. We can also know it when we feel the leadership of the Holy Spirit with us; through His advice, encouragement and empowerment to complete our tasks.”
Believe, apply, know. The District Apostle continued: “It is important to believe, that is why we have the divine services. When we hear the word of God at our divine services and apply our faith to our daily lives, then we will know and feel the Holy Spirit is with us, the Lord Jesus is with us. As children of God, we will also know that we have a great goal, that the Lord Jesus will return and complete His work.”
Keep the faith. The District Apostle Ehrich concluded with a heartfelt call: “Let us keep our faith and let us grow deeper in our faith. Then, we can be assured that the faith is the power that helps us through our daily lives.”