For four months, church activities have been suspended. The easing of restrictions by government was a welcome news to members of the Hohoe Central congregation in the Volta North Apostle Area; they celebrated their first post-COVID divine service on 19th July 2020. The service was officiated by Apostle Timothy Akubia with 29 members in attendance.
The divine service was based on a text from 2 Corinthians 4:5 “For we do not preach ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord, and ourselves your bondservants for Jesus' sake.”
“Today is a day of thanksgiving. For four months we were thrown into a state of spiritual famine. Our spirit and soul hungered for the word, forgiveness of sins, Holy Communion and fellowship with one another. Not all members could participate in the transmission services, and having been provided with the opportunity, we come with a thankful heart. Let us be grateful to our heavenly Father for protecting all of us from this virus so far. ” remarked the Apostle as he began the service.
He further stated that, our safety does not lie in observation of the protocols alone, but more importantly by the grace of God. “We have to observe the protocols, but let us put our trust in the protective power of our Heavenly Father. Much as the human efforts play a role, it is only God that can save us from the ravaging virus.”
Elaborating on the text, the Apostle stated that the apostolate is the foundation of the Church of Christ. Jesus Christ Himself rules His Church through the activity of the Holy Spirit. The work of the Apostles is characterized by the proclamation of the gospel. Apostle Akubia emphasized that the Apostles of Christ were chosen for the performance of specific tasks. These he outlined as:
* To proclaim the gospel of Christ; they do not speak of themselves or invent their own gospel.
* Help the congregation to be an epistle of Christ;
* Prepare the bride of Christ; through the forgiveness of sins and the dispensation of the sacraments;
* Proclaim the return of Christ and the resurrection of the dead.
The Apostle further stated that, Jesus Christ is central to the Apostolic proclamation. The Apostles bear witness of Jesus Christ as the Son of God.
The Apostle avers that, all those who have come into fellowship with the Apostles are expected to bear witness of their faith in word and deed. These include:
* to love God and our neighbor just as God loved us;
* to allow the Holy Spirit to guide us; it helps us endure difficult situations and then we can share our experiences with others;
* to exemplify the spirit of reconciliation in our conduct;
* to express our belief in the return of Jesus Christ, the resurrection of the dead and our hope for the new creation.
Concluding the sermon, the Apostle stated that the Apostolate have been sent to perform specific tasks. They shall make Jesus Christ the central point of their proclamation. He entreated members to fully grasp the mission of the Apostles and also ensure that in word and in deed, the apostolic nature radiates in us.